Sunday, June 14, 2015

Day 4 of 21 Days of Courage



There is a great story, related by Brennan Manning, concerning Mother Teresa. He tells how the renowned ethicist, Jack Kavanaugh, journeyed to Calcutta to work with Mother Teresa in her ministry to the dying. When he got there, he asked her to pray for him.
She asked what he wanted her to pray for, and he said, “Clarity.” But Mother Teresa refused. She made the wise observation that Kavanaugh was clinging to clarity and that he must release it. He questioned her, saying that she had always seemed to have tremendous clarity.
She laughed. “I have never had clarity. What I have had is trust. So I will pray that you trust God.”
Interesting, isn’t it? I’d be willing to bet that some of you are praying for clarity these days.
God, how much longer is this going to go on?
God, when will things get better?
God, give me a sign of what we should do.


But, maybe you don’t need more clarity. Maybe what you need is more trust.
God says, “I know the plan I have for you” not “I know the plans you have for you.”
What is one area of your life where you feel maybe God’s asking you to be OK with less clarity and at the same time engage Him with more trust?

-Pete

No comments: