Tuesday, February 16, 2016

A Glimpse of God’s Love

A Glimpse of God’s Love (Writer's Opinion)

By Carol Round, Special to ASSIST News Service
CLAREMORE, OK (ANS – February 14, 2016) -- “O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever”—Psalm 136:1(NRSV).
A glimpe of Gods loveOn a recent overcast day, the cold had driven the birds to my suet feeders. The feeders are located outside my kitchen window, offering me a great view of the variety of birds dining on the peanut butter laden treats. When we have an extremely cold winter, I have to refill the feeders more often. With this year’s milder weather, I’ve not had to do so. The usual visitors are shades of brown and gray.
On this particular day, several cardinals showed up to eat their share. I marveled at their red beauty and by the contrast they provided to the dull winter colors of the bare trees and dead grass. While the drabness of winter doesn’t bother me, the unexpected appearance of these creatures brought hope to my weary soul. Overwhelmed, all I could say was, “Thank you, God, for sharing your love today.”
If we would only open our eyes, we could see a glimpse of God’s love everywhere, every day. I am reminded of this when I see an elderly person struggling to open a door and, before I can respond, a teenager rushes to pull it open. I always smile because it’s a reminder of His love.
Isaiah 46:4 says, “Even to your old age and gray hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.” That’s love.
When I read news stories of youngsters who have been inspired to help others by collecting coats or blankets for the homeless, I smile. That’s love.
1 John 3:1 says, “See what kind of love the Father has given to us, that we should be called children of God; and so we are. The reason why the world does not know us is that it did not know him.”
A glimse of heavenRecently, I witnessed something on the basketball court that made my heart sing. My 10-year-old grandson was participating in a game when a player on the opposing team tripped and hit the court hard. Instead of grabbing the ball he had dropped, my grandson stopped to make sure the other player was okay. That’s love.
Matthew 25:45 says, “And he will answer, ‘I tell you the truth, when you refused to help the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were refusing to help me.’”
St. Augustine once said, “What does love look like? It has the hands to help others. It has the feet to hasten to the poor and needy. It has eyes to see misery and want. It has the ears to hear the sighs and sorrows of men. That is what love looks like.”
When we change our view, we change our attitude. When we expect to see God’s love at work each day, we will. When we look for ways to express His love to others, we will find it. When we recognize God’s love at work, we’ll see a glimpse of heaven.
Photo captions: 1) A glimpse of God’s glory in the form of loving arms wrapped around a hurting little boy (http://jenniferbleakley.com). 2) A glimpse of heaven illustration (http://rachelyvonne.com/glimpse-heaven-romantic-short-story). 3) Carol Round.
Carol Round useNote: I always love hearing from my readers. Please feel free to email me with your thoughts at carolaround@yahoo.com . You can also visit my blog at www.carolaround.com.
** You can republish this or any of our ANS stories with attribution to the ASSIST News Service (www.assistnews.net).

No comments: