Friday, April 19, 2013

From “Religion” to “Relationship” Part 1


 
From “Religion” to “Relationship”
Part 1
There comes a time when passed down religious practices give way to a real relationship with Jesus as the way, the truth, and the life. For Conrad (19), a youth raised in Jolo, Sulu, on the Island of Mindanao in the Philippines, the time had come.
In Jolo, there are many Tausugs who hold firmly to Islam as their religion and way of life. They despise Christians, like Conrad, who were raised to believe in Christ. But to Conrad it was always a “religion,” until one day when Open Doors came to share. For the first time, he understood the meaning and importance of a “relationship” with Jesus Christ. 
“I had always been active in the church since I was a child. I attended Vacation Bible School, and joined church activities. But with my friends outside the church, I was a very different person. I thought I knew a lot about Isa (Jesus) before, until I attended the summer youth camp. There, I realized my own sins, and I asked God to forgive me. I asked Jesus to heal my temper,” Conrad testified.
Now of college age, Conrad has decided to not return to his village. Instead, together with his elder brother, he is staying at a local pastor’s house. “One time, I was invited to help in the feeding ministry. At first, I thought I’d just be observing. Instead, I found myself actually serving the children their food and washing their plates. I realized that I enjoyed serving the Lord. My being an Almasihin (Christian) is useless if I do not actively serve Isa (Jesus). I felt I'd found something important I’d been missing all my life.”
Tomorrow read Conrad’s testimony about volunteering at a children’s summer camp. 
Be One With Them
Be One With Conrad as you serve the Lord today through whatever opportunities He has given you. Give thanks to Him for His many blessings in your life, and for the blessing of Conrad and his life-story.

No comments: