Tuesday, April 30, 2013

“I Begged Them to Leave My Girls”

“I Begged Them to Leave My Girls”
Deborah’s life will never be the same, following the traumatic events of 2012. Within a few months time, Boko Haram, an Islamic extremist group, killed her husband and son, and kidnapped her two daughters.

The horrific evening began like any other, Deborah’s two young girls raced up the path to greet her as she returned from a long day at work. Inside their home, her husband, Shettima, was preparing a children’s Bible study for the evening prayers at church. Setting down her belongings, she took a bucket to draw water from the village well for the evening meal.

While she was gone, armed young men arrived at the entrance to the compound and waited for her to return. “They followed me inside the compound. I tried to alert my husband, but they overpowered me and forced me to lie on the floor. I heard my husband who was watching through the window praying, ‘Father, today I will come to you, please receive my spirit.’” The attackers fired four shots, killing Shettima.

Deborah, convinced that her last moments on earth had also come, asked the Lord to receive her spirit. As she prayed, her daughters, who had been hiding, came running towards her. Deborah was helpless to stop the men as they grabbed the girls, aged 7 and 9, and dragged them from the compound. “Looking up to the heavens, I cried for help at the top of my voice, but did not get a reply.”

Three months later, the nightmare took another horrific turn as extremists forced their way into Deborah’s home and murdered her son, her last remaining child.
One With Them
It was one year ago, on April 25, when Deborah’s life was turned upside down. Still struggling with the trauma, devastation and grief, she longs to know if her daughters are still alive, and holds onto hope that she will see them again. Be One With Deborah as you pray this prayer:

Father, we know that You are the God of all Comfort. Please wrap Your arms of comfort and peace around our sister, Deborah, especially today as she relives the terror, grief and devastation that began one year ago, today. Bind up her broken heart and bring her the joy of Your presence in the midst of her pain. Nothing else can bring comfort; she needs to experience Your presence today. Please protect and rescue her little girls from the extremists who took them. Nothing is impossible for You, so we ask that the Boko Haram rebels would release them today. Restore this remaining part of Deborah’s family to each other, we pray! In the powerful name of Jesus, Amen.
One With Them CHALLENGE
Please write a message to Deborah today. Assure her that you are praying for her and that she is deeply loved.  
 

4/28/2013



He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds.
(Psalms 147:3)
 

No comments: