Friday, June 14, 2013

Addicted to Drugs - Part 2

Addicted to Drugs - Part 2
Yesterday Elijah talked about how his mother tried to abort him. Today, we continue. 
“Growing up, I was a problem child. In my teens, I started using drugs. I tried to become an army officer but failed so I traveled to the Thai border to find work. I waited on tables, became a kitchen helper and signed up for menial jobs. During this time, I became more addicted to drugs.

“One night, as I took the trash out, I saw two books in the bin. They looked so nice in their blue leather cover. I wondered why such nice books would end up in the trash. I showed them to one of my workmates, who said that it was a book, containing God’s word. I took one and my workmate took the other.

“I soon realized that it was written in both English and Thai. I could not understand a thing!  My workmate said that his pastor’s wife could teach me English and Thai. I was surprised that she would be willing to teach me, a Buddhist! I agreed to see her.

“At that time, I felt a deep desire for something, but I didn’t know what it was. I knew that through Buddhism, I could not find the answer. I wanted to open the book to learn more. Each week, she patiently taught me, although I didn’t understand anything that I read. Then, one day she asked me, ‘Do you know Jesus?’ I told her that I had seen a movie about Jesus but could not watch the part when he was being nailed on the cross. She told me to pray and ask Jesus for wisdom, so I could understand the Bible. I asked if I could pray to Jesus and Buddha at the same time. My teacher said I should pray only to Jesus to see if He would answer my prayers.”
Tomorrow we continue with Elijah’s story.
One With Them
At one time or another, we all have been searching for something. Searching for that purpose in life. Searching for that reason why we exist. Please stand One With Them, those like Elijah, who know something is missing, and are searching for the answer. Ask the Lord to meet them right where they are, and show them that He indeed is the answer.
(Name changed and other details withheld for the believer’s protection)

2013.06.14



For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
(Romans 1:19-2)
 

No comments: